Go to Main Page | What's New

Annual May House Open House
Aug 19, 2001

by Dr. Robert Perry
CLICK HERE for more information on his web site,
The Samuel May House Archive

On August 19th, 2001, members of the Colonel Jack May Camp #1897 gathered at the Samuel May House in Prestonsburg, Kentucky and hosted the annual May House Open House. Built in 1817, the Samuel May House was the childhood home of Colonel Andrew Jackson May, commander of the 5th Kentucky Infantry, C.S.A. and the leading Confederate officer in the Big Sandy Valley. The 5th Kentucky Infantry was organized at the May Farm and the house was used as a Confederate recruiting post during the Civil War period.

A very informative article on the event was published in the August 22nd edition of the Floyd County Times with more photos of the gathering and exhibits on display in the home.

Don Stansky, Tom Burgess, Commander Mark Holbrook, Don Johnson, Jimmy Reed, Michelle Holbrook, and daughter Lauren Holbrook on the May House back porch.

At twelve noon camp members got into their cars and drove to a cemetery near Hueysville, Floyd County, Kentucky, where they paid tribute to Private Amos Reed of the 64th Virginia Infantry, C.S.A.in a brief ceremony. Amos is a direct ancestor of camp member Jimmy Reed.

Return to top